Monday 1 August 2011

FIELD DAY EXCITEMENT POST 2 - CLOUD CONTROL

I'm not going to be able to write nearly as many of these as I'd like but fudge it. Today I'm talking about CLOUD CONTROL!



Another band I annoyingly missed at Great Escape and Liverpool Sound City (who did I actually see again?), I've only been really getting into their debut album, Bliss Release, over the past week or so, in anticipation for Field Day, having heard many good things about them by a good many people.

And getting into their debut album, I have! The Australian 4-piece hailing from the Blue Mountains near Sydney sound more like they came out of 1960s beach-side California, with dreamy pop sensibilities nodding clearly to The Beach Boys, and more recently akin to bands like Best Coast and Beach House. The sweet boy/girl harmonies remind me of moments of Fleetwood Mac (and perhaps Jefferson Airplane?), while they're quieter, more contemplative moments shift their location in my mind to the mountain-men sound of Fleet Foxes amongst others.

They're like Grouplove, but better. And I like Grouplove.

A raucous guitar-pop band, full of hooks and harmonies which (particularly if the sun is out) should go down very well at Field Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment