Monday 1 August 2011

MAIA

So, Friday night, and I'm at the Spice of Life in Soho to see DANNY PAPE (much more on him soon). Danny was going to headline, and I was planning on going to see him and then head home, but as his guitarist fell ill and he ended up playing a solo set he was bumped down the bill slightly. Which meant I ended up catching another band who I hadn't expected to, MAIA.


Well, they were something else! The only frame of reference I could think of for their sound was Gomez. They were a bit like a folkier, less blues-y cousin of Gomez (back in the days of Liquid Skin, when they were making instruments out of whatever they found in their garage). It'd be lazy to say they were quirky, when really they just used a variety of interesting instruments (a mariachi-esque trumpet, a mandolin, a cajon, a banjo, their drummer was more of a 'percussionist' than outright drummer), though they do call their music "Disco sci-fi folk pop". I'd perhaps stick 'Americana' somewhere in there too.

But their songs were very sophisticatedly written, particularly dynamically intriguing, which made for pretty captivating viewing. And you can never go wrong with the occasional three-part harmony.

Andy thought the singer sounded like Mark Greaney (the JJ72 singer), not a bad shout. I reckon a bit like Finley Quaye as well.

All in all, they convinced me to buy their debut self-titled album. I haven't bought an album at a gig for years, so I think that's a good compliment.

Go check out more of their stuff HERE. It really is very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment